Friday, March 24, 2017

Author Interview: Katherine Davis

Yay! It's time for another author interview! I always feel so honored when I reach out to an author and they agree to do an interview for my blog. This time I'm interviewing the wonderfully creative Katherine Davis.

Katherine Davis is the author of the Child of Fate series, which currently has two books out and available now: Serendipity's Daughter and Karmic Justice. You can read my review of the second book HERE. She is a self-published author currently living in Missouri, US. The proud mother (a.k.a. “survivor”) of three boys, she’s an admitted, unrepentant addict of books, laughter, games, learning, and the glorious World Wide Web.




Now let's get this interview started! 

What inspired you to write the Child of Fate series?  
I have always had this odd thing about Karma and Fate.  It's fascinating for me and I often mused about "what if" Fate was real, not just as a concept or ideal, but a real person and thing.  When I finally summoned the courage and oomph to write my own story, this was the easiest place to begin.

What is your favorite scene from the books so far?  
That's a good question.  I'm not sure I can put one above all the others, although there are a couple that do stand out for me.  I really like the scene in Serendipity's Daughter that first introduces the guys, when they're all in their room picking at each other before Kismet so rudely interrupts.  There's another one in Karmic Justice towards the beginning when Kismet gets mad at her Guardians and has had enough that I always found empowering.

How many books will be in the series?  
Four.  That's the plan anyway!  I was originally only going to write three in this series but the story needed more room than that.

Do you have any other writing projects in the works or plans for another story once the Child of Fate series is finished?  
Definitely!  I have so many stories inside my head and notebooks filled with ideas, characters, and concepts.  I'm not sure which one will snag me and my Muse once this series is over but I'm forcing myself to concentrate fully on the Child of Fate series for now.

What is it like being a self-published author?  
Whew.  Heavy question.  It isn't easy, and yet it is.  I love working from home, dictating my own hours, essentially playing pretend with imaginary friends.  This is my dream job and has been since I was in grade school.  It's great that my kids get to see me following and living my dream, it teaches them they can do the same if they really put their mind to it.  Now for the but...  I grew up in a heavily blue collar family and small town where a "proper" job meant working 9-5, Monday - Friday, at a place that offered health insurance, retirement benefits, and the occasional company picnic.  That means being self-employed in a career without guaranteed stable income is...hmm...not exactly frowned on but thought of as odd.  There are these moments now and then when someone asks me what I do that usually end with an awkward moment of silence and an eventually muttered, "Oh."  Once in a while though I come across someone who is genuinely fascinated by what I do and it sparks a fun, energetic conversation.  The most important part is that I'm doing what makes me happy, my fiance is very supportive, and my kids think Mom is "cool."

Do you have any advice for writers, especially writers considering self-publishing?  
Do it!  I'm not just stealing that from Nike, either.  If you can imagine a story in your head, you can write it.  I think what holds a lot of people back is being too intimidated by the process, but you can get used to that.  The first and most important step is sitting down and doing the work.  Do some research, ask authors personally, find a writing community online like NaNoWriMo for example, and learn how to write a book.  The information is out there if you go look for it, then just...do it.  Everyday.  Write.  Write long handed or type it out, whatever you have to do to get words on a page.  It takes a lot of self-motivation and determination, but if you really want to and you're willing to do the research and work, then go for it.

Thanks again Katherine for allowing me to interview you! I wish you luck as you continue writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment