Saturday, February 4, 2017

"Karmic Justice" Book Review

Title: Karmic Justice
Series: Child of Fate #2
Author: Katherine Davis
Stars: 3.5 out of 5
Book Blurb:
Kismet and her Guardians have settled into the Academy for a comfortable few weeks and all the First Years are looking forward to their First Patrol. The Summer Solstice is only a few days away and the Academy is buzzing with the arrival of foreign dignitaries and representatives from across the globe as they prepare for the annual High Council. But Kismet’s Guardians aren’t as excited as she is, and their meddling will trigger a series of events that send their Child of Fate on a whirlwind adventure…alone. 

Kismet is forced to find a way to survive away from Reif, Liam, Mason, and Jax while they juggle the political nightmare of vampires, fae, shifters, mers, and humans gathered in one place to decide how to handle the catastrophic Collapse looming over them all. 

Find out Kismet’s destiny in this second installment of the Child of Fate series as she discovers new people, places, and magic. Enjoy the mad scrambling of her four handsome Guardians as they fight to find some way to save their Scholar and their world.


***

Karmic Justice is the second book in the Child of Fate series and it picks up where the first book left off.

I have to say, I enjoyed this book a lot more than the first. In the first book I was frustrated by how passive Kismet was and how she let everyone push her around. I understand that in her life she had little to no agency so she was accustomed to it, but I wanted to see her start standing up for herself. I got to see that in this book. 

Kismet and the guys have their first assignment, and it's not what Kismet wanted because the guys decided on a new plan without her. Fed up with being kept out of the loop and feeling like an outsider in a group that she should be the center of, she tells off the guys. On the first day, Kismet also ends up separated from the guys as she deals with the growing threat of shifter madness and trouble with the rifts and the guys figure out evolving politics at the Academy. 

I'm glad that Kismet finally grows a pair of ovaries and stands up for herself. She also comes to realize that she is in a position of authority and has the capacity to do things on her own. The guys also come to their senses and realize that putting Kismet at a distance won't help and that they need to recognize her strength just as much as she did.

In book 2 I got a lot of my questions answered that were left unresolved in book 1. More information is given about Fate and the Collapse and Kismet's role in it all, which helped resolve a lot of confusion I had felt when reading the first book. 

Unfortunately, while I enjoyed this book more than the first, I still had some issues with it. This book jumps in right where the last one left off, which in itself isn't bad but it had been a while since the first book and I felt myself struggling to remember the keys players and their roles. There is a lot of complex political maneuvering going on and it would have been helpful to have some reminders here and there about the characters and their motivations and connections to help make sense of what was going on. Even after the big showdown, I was still a bit confused about who was on what side. 

I was also disappointed when one of the characters I had liked died. I understand it was necessary for someone to die in order to bring in the new character, but why this character? Why not someone else? I think I will have a hard time getting over it unless a really good reason for this specific chartacter's death is given in book 3. I'm also wondering how this new character will fit in with the group when the group was finally starting to figure out their dynamics. 

Lastly, I caught a few typos and there were some spots where it felt like there was too much description given of a scene and other times where not enough was given to help me clearly picture what was happening. 

Overall, it was a good book and I will probably read the next one to see what happens next. The book doesn't end on a cliff hanger but it definitely ends with a lot to be resolved.

No comments:

Post a Comment